Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tools for Managing Attention Disorders

A while back I saw a news story about teachers who are using balance balls in class for students with ADD and ADHD, autism and other attention related problems. My initial thought was that it's a great idea in theory, but I wondered how distracting it would be for other students. I imagined the children fighting over who would get a turn on the giant inflatable ball and the jealously and outbursts that might occur over having this in the classroom. I also considered the potential liability, after all rolling off one of those onto a hard floor or against a desk leg could pose a problem- you know, broken noses, limbs, cracked teeth, ect.
I use a similar therapy tool for my back problems. Its a balance disk, which can be used as a seat cushion with the same benefits of the larger ball, and is much more discreet and transportable. While searching online for a picture to show a friend what I was using for my back problem I found several reviews by teachers who said they use these disks in class for students with attention problems, instead of the balance ball, for all the reasons I described above.
The teachers writing the reviews say that the balance disk help students stay on task and are much less distracting to other students. From all I have read, this seems to be a valuable tool to keep in the classroom.
I am intrigued by some of the creative ideas that are used by teachers to solve difficult problems in the classroom. Despite all my training in massage therapy, I don't know that I would have ever made the connection to utilize this therapy tool in the classroom, but it completely makes sense!
Have any of you used the balance disk, ball or a similar item to help students with attention problems? Have you found that it helps students focus or that it just becomes another distraction? What other suggestions do you have for working with attention problems?

No comments:

Post a Comment