Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Teachers as Dream Enablers

I just read a very inspiring post by blogger Marnee Brick about teaching children to set achievable goals towards their aspirations.
I don’t think there is a person out there that goes into teaching because they love paperwork. I don’t think they do it expecting daily respect and professional recognition. And I definitely don’t think anyone does it for the money. I think people go into teaching because they really want to do something that will have a positive impact and that they want to impart the knowledge they have acquired so that someone just starting out in the world will be a little wiser, a little more prepared for the road ahead.
Even though I am not yet a teacher, I can already tell that it is going to be hard to stay focused on the real reasons I wanted to go into this profession.
In her post, Brick stated,
We need to encourage children to believe that there is a place out there beyond their reality and that they hold the power within them to be the change.
This touched something within me. It really makes you stop and think about what we teach through our attitudes and responses.
I believe that some of our responses are so completely engraved within us that unconsciously we perpetuate self defeating behaviors. It’s a cycle, passed down from generation to generation, it infiltrates the messages we receive from all around, in life, in the media, in literature. We learned from observation, as did our parents, and their parents and so forth that there are limitations, that certain things are hard or impossible. We learn what to expect from life, what we deserve and don’t and how to blame others or consequence for things that, in reality, are in our control. We make excuses, blame, complain and give in all the time without giving it any second thought. This is self defeating behavior and the cycle has to break somewhere. Just think of all the positive changes that could be accomplished, on a global scale, if all people were proactive, took responsibility for their own actions, set personal goals and stopped making excuses or trying to place blame.
On a small scale, teachers have the opportunity to impart this change one student at a time. It comes from exactly what Marnee Brick’s post was all about: Teaching students that they can make their dreams come true and giving them the tools to close the gap between a wish and reality.
Its really worth some consideration to think about how, as a teacher, we can incorporate these tools into daily curricular activities so that they become second nature to students; because, in reality, we don’t know if they will get the necessary reinforcement from other people in their life, we don’t know what kinds of behaviors are being modeled for them and we don’t know if their future teachers are going to reinforce the concept of setting big goals and making them reality one step at a time.
I love every time I hear a story about someone who worked hard to become successful and followed their dreams, despite growing up in poverty, or having a disability, or any other limiting circumstance. When I hear those stories I know that there was someone in their life who was encouraging and modeling positive behaviors throughout their childhood.
It’s one of the most important things we can teach children, that they can be anything and that their dreams are achievable, but they have to know that it’s a process, and it involves proactive effort, that no body is going to make it happen for them.
Thanks to Marnee Brick for writing this, I have been in a bit of a slump lately and this really helped me to consider some of my own big dreams and the steps necessary to make them happen.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words! May all your dream dust bring you to your own dream-come-true.

    Marnee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - just what I needed to read.

    http://halpey1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is never too late to scatter some star dust and see your dreams come true. As a 62 year old grandmother I have come to realized that a lifetime of reaching for the moon will land us on many wonderful stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the teaching inspiration!

    ReplyDelete