Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Coming to a Close :(

My forty hours of field experience are over after tomorrow. When I first started this experience I felt completely inadequate and overwhelmed, but once I went to the private school for a day, I had a new appreciation for the public school experience and all that it offered me.
Now I feel very sad to see my time coming to a close and I feel each day like I am just trying to take in every moment that I have to interact with the kids. I feel like I have developed a good relationship with a few of them and also understand their disability much more than in the beginning. I have been having some successful interactions with the autistic kids. .
I also thoroughly enjoy working with the T.A.s, teacher and speech pathologist assigned to this group. I also really love being in the school environment. If I didn’t have to work, I would probably continue to volunteer my time until the end of the ESY in a couple weeks.
I also found out that as of the end of the year, I can apply for the IL state approved and NCLB approved Paraprofessional program. It would be great to get a TA job and gain a lot of experience before I get my teaching certificate. Financially I am unable to make that career move now, but jobs opportunities are not abundant now anyway. Probably my last year of school would be a good time to make the transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment