Today was pretty good. I am finally starting to get used to the kids, although I only have one day left with this group and I think that some of them I might really miss now :(
Tomorrow I go to the new school. It’s a private school for IEP students only. I think it will be different and interesting. The day is much longer, however I imagine that they have a much more structured program which is probably geared more specifically to each disability and I expect to get to see several different therapies in action as well. I am at this other school tomorrow and then two days next week and my hours will then be complete (cue the “Hallelujah” music.)
This experience has been interesting to say the least. There has been far more involvement than I ever anticipated and I am getting a crash course in Special Ed for sure! I must admit that despite the fact that I am using my vacation hours for this work, I enjoy being outside and around the kids. They make me smile and laugh several times a day and that is one of the things I really look forward to more of in the future. I am no longer exhausted by the end of the day. My body has acclimated to the extra activity and chaos.
The potty mouth child was out today and without his behavioral issues, all of out activities seemed to last a little longer before the crowd lost interest. It was interesting to see the change in the classroom dynamics without him. One of the kids who does have some behavioral issues did seem to act out more today, and all were very wild, but we were able to get all of them to spend a significant amount of time engaged in learning play, which was nice. One of the kids wanted me to read with him, which was awesome. We read about 5 books together. After we finished one, he would go and get another. It made me feel really good because I have been paired up a lot with this child and helping him with his computer reading program. I have been trying to encourage him to slow down and read things, sound out hard words and cheer him on. It felt really good when he chose to read with me. I felt like in some small way, maybe I had something to do with his excitement to read books! And another wonderful thing today, our resident grumpy kid smiled at me and wanted me to work with him. So all in all it was a pretty good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment