How did I ever survive academia without the internet? Its hard to imagine there was a time when this priceless resource was not available.
I have come to appreciate the internet immensely thanks in part to the most expensive, crappiest math class in the entire universe. I have just earned some confidence points because I realize that I single handedly (well, using the internet) taught myself college algebra and geometry over the internet. I wouldn't say that I have made myself into an A student because that is, well, a lie, but I did manage to pass placement exams with flying colors and get by the crappiest math class in the universe with a B.
The unfortunate thing about the crappiest math class in the universe is that it was supposed to teach me how to take very complicated algebraic and critical thinking skills and simplify them so that an elementary student could take from it the basic curricular knowledge required at what ever grade level it may be. I did not get that from this class. If I could write a letter to the author of the textbook (which I might just do that) I would tell him, in a nice way, that he failed miserably at providing the tools necessary to translate difficult mathematical material into fun and understandable material appropriate for a classroom full of young children.
It wasn't all for waste though, I did manage to find some of the most wonderful math resources available in the internet, written by people who know how to turn a difficult concept into something relatable and easy to comprehend- a skill that lies at the core of teaching.
I plan on going through my archives during my winter break and posting some of the websites I have used that have great images and explanations of elementary math topics. I think some of these would be great classroom resources, especially of you have a smart board or monitor projector available for class use. Links to follow soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment