Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It's Never Too Early...

Veteran teachers and principals advise applicants to be ready for some common questions that will be asked during a teaching interview. I am quite a ways away from the interviewing process, but it's never too early to start preparing for those inevitable questions. The hardest for me has always been the one where I am required to gloat about myself (I'm actually quite humble) so I have compiled a list of some of my positives that will be useful to teaching. Hopefully I will have more to add to these later.

5 personal strengthes that will help make me a great teacher:

1. I am passionate about learning- I just can’t seem to stop myself. This is evident in the fact that I have 3 more years until I can even begin teaching yet I already have been reading and planning for my first job. What can I say, I like to be prepared!

2. I’m middle aged- occupationally speaking. I am at this beautiful point in my working career where I am young enough to bring excitement, fresh ideas, and energy to my career yet experienced enough where I have a solid work ethic, multiple life experiences to draw from, collaborative experience and last (but certainly not least) a strong sense of responsibility and accountability.

3. Personal experience- As a returning adult student, I know the importance of education and the pursuit of knowledge. I understand the value and purpose in encouraging children to seek higher knowledge and the challenges they face if they don’t, therefore I have incentive to help them make good choices.

4. I am equally practical as I am creative- I can balance my perfectionist with my artist to develop learning experiences which are engaging and yet very structured.

5. When it comes to Multiple Intelligences, I score (equally) highest in interpersonal and intrapersonal skills giving me a strong understanding of myself and others, a natural ability to read people, and a natural tendency toward critical thinking skills. Understanding oneself is a prerequisite for helping others grow and develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment